In today’s construction market, the demand for the Eco-friendly and ready-made product is at peak and Structural insulated panel is one such product that is in the top-tier list of need. It is crafted with high-end material that delivers lifelong durability making it an inevitable choice for constructors. In construction business time, money and labor is a significant factor, and it cut down the cost of all these factors.
What Are SIPs Panels?
SIP is the abbreviation for a structural insulated panel that is currently in top demand in the construction market. It is becoming increasingly popular among everyone for its benefits, and it has proven itself as a better alternative as a building material. Most of the constructors in the UK are building with SIPs panels that have proved to be sturdier than other construction components.
The core design of SIP is simple and consist an insulating layer which is packed with a dual layer of the outer structure. This inner layer is mainly made up of polyurethane, polystyrene, polyisocyanurate, composite honeycomb or polyurethane while the outer layer is primarily made up of plywood, cement, sheet metal, oriented strand board or magnesium oxide board. SIPs are used for many purposes like the roof, floor, exterior wall, etc. This structural components function in the same way as I-beam which is also a traditional building material.
How To Install SIPs Panels
Structural insulated panels have become the crucial building component for both office and home the process of installation is quite easy as they come as ready-made structures. Previously building walls and roof for home or offices used to take an enormous amount of time which was a huge hassle for the constructors, but with SIP it takes a couple of days. SIPS are delivered directly to the construction site depending upon the size of the wall and roof.
Before installation, the constructors need to have a careful layout of the building so that there is no mismatch in the final size of SIPs. Building with SIPs is not an amateur task, and constructors need to careful with the joints. Numbering and orientation of SIPs is an important task for installation process however miscalculation can be avoided by cutting unused portion. During installation of SIP in the roof area, the use of large screws is recommended which will provide it a firm structure.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Structural Insulated Panels
Like all structural components, SIPs is also associated with various pros and cons but still is currently the most popular building item.
- SIPs is an environment-friendly product as they use lumber which is mainly hardwoods.
- It has an excellent tightening property that provides rigidity to the walls and roof along with improved insulation.
- The whole building cost with SIPs is very low as they are directly delivered in a ready-made form and the only job of a constructor is to place and bolt them.
- The process of dismantling is very easy, and they can be even reused for making new structures.
- The insulating property of SIPs has an improved thermal performance, and its property doesn’t deteriorate with time making it an invincible construction item.
- It serves as a lifetime investment, and once they are installed, they will survive for a very long time.
- Although it has a high insulation property but when it comes to noise control property, it is moderately deprived in that performance.
- SIP without waterproof property is easily damaged by moisture.
- SIP is prone to insecticides and pest, and if they are not adequately protected, they can get easily damaged.
- Although building structures with SIP is cost effective but the initial costing for modification is slightly expensive.
- Without proper ventilation arrangement, it is not very effective.
Home Building Kits
SIP serves as a cost-effective and one of the most useful home building kits. Nowadays, most of the constructors in the UK are using SIP as a home building kit as they provide better firmness and rigidity. There is almost no construction waste as they are pre-modified and pre-constructed.
Structural Insulated Panel Cost
SIPs panels come with an affordable price tag and most of the Structural insulated panel manufacturers provide a different range of SIP panels. The average pricing of SIP is around 17 Euro which is comparatively quite small when compared to other construction components.
However, the pricing of SIP is slightly expensive than regular timbers but when compared to total construction expense SIP proves to be cost-effective. Their size and quality determine them pricing of SIP. Different sizes of SIP panel are available in the market, so there is no need for buying extra. The central costing of SIP depends on upon its inner core material, and high-quality SIP panels are quite expensive.